Thursday, August 18, 2005

Flag-burning and Christianity

Apparently, there is talk once again about adding a flag-burning amendment to the United States Constitution. I am kind of lukewarm about the issue. I have great reverence for the flag. I'm not sure that I could be trusted to refrain from assaulting someone that burned a flag in front of me. But, amendments to the Constitution are a serious and difficult thing. I am not sure that banning flag-burning is worth that effort.

In its July 30, 2005 issue, World Magazine ran an interesting column on the flag-burning issue. The piece was written by correspondent Janie B. Cheaney. Cheaney is clearly a patriotic individual. She is also an outspoken Christian. She presents an interesting argument that Christians should respect what the flag represents but not necessarily support a flag-burning amendment. This short article is well worth reading.