Thursday, April 22, 2004

Totally Random Post

Have you ever been in a situation where someone tells you some news, and you're not sure whether you are supposed to be happy or not about that news? For example, the summer after I graduated from high school, I ran into a classmate's mother at the post office. The mother told me that her daughter was expecting a baby. Now, I knew this girl wasn't married, and this was a Catholic family. So, I wasn't sure exactly how I was supposed to take that announcement. I think that I probably just took my stamps and scurried away.

I now have a new approach, thanks to my friend Caitlin Mitchel. Caitlin said that she responds by saying, "Wow, that's big news." This is a fabulous response. That comment allows the newsgiver to read anything they want into your response. My post office woman could have answered, "Yeah, it's a shame since my girl had such a bright future." Or, she could have answered, "I know, we can't wait to start turning the guest room into a nursery." It's really her call.

I think this is brilliant.