Thursday, December 16, 2004

In-flight phone calls

This morning I heard a news story reporting that the FAA may start allowing cell phone use during flights. I have always wondered about the actual safety concerns with cell phones on planes. After all, if a phone with the power on could actually bring down a plane, then why weren't passengers searched for phones or required to check them?

Although I am glad to learn that cell phones may not actually be all that dangerous, I have to say that I am not eager to see phone calls become a regular part of air travel. Let's face it -- flying alone can be boring. It would be nice to chat a little with a friend as long as you had nothing else to do. But, can you imagine what a flight would be like if your neighbor was laughing and yelling as only cell phone users can do? And only a foot from your head? I shudder to think.