Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Vermeil must go!

I try not to air my personal problems on this website, but one of the perks of having your own blog is having a platform to vent to the world when someone has wronged you. The focus of this rant is Kansas City Chiefs' coach Dick Vermeil.

Ever since the Chiefs drafted running back Larry Johnson out of Penn State, Vermeil has been mishandling the former Nittany Lion. Vermeil has publicly bashed Johnson in the press and has denied the promising youngster the playing time that his salary and skills deserve. This has angered me for two years, but last night was the final straw. Last night Vermeil's grudge against my beloved Nittany Lion put an end to my fantasy football season.

All season long my team has relied on Chiefs' starter Priest Holmes to lead the way. But, as the fantasy football playoffs began, Holmes was sidelined for the season with a knee injury. So, I turned to my old friend Larry Johnson. Heading into Monday night's game, I needed 27 points (a pretty healthy amount) from Johnson in order to advance. But, thanks to Vermeil's stubbornness, Johnson was only on the field for about 3 plays in the entire first half. He finally got the playing time he deserved in the second half, totaling over 100 yards and scoring 2 touchdowns. In the end, he tallied 24 fantasy points, but it was not enough. My fate was sealed, and my season was over.

So, here's to you Larry Johnson. I have loved you since we were both teenagers. And to you, Dick ... well, the last time you did anything Larry Johnson and I were both just learning how to walk. Yeah, it's been that long. Consider yourself permanently added to my bad list.