Friday, December 10, 2004

National Treasure

It might be a bit too late to catch this flick in theaters, but I wanted to say a few words about the movie National Treasure. This film features Nicholas Cage and Sean Bean. Cage plays a man named Benjamin Franklin Gates. For generations, the Gates family has been searching for a fabulous treasure that was hidden by our nation's Founding Fathers. For some reason, the critics have been really hard on this movie. I don't understand why. Sure, it's a bit far-fetched. But I found it very entertaining. After all, part of the reason I watch movies is to see stuff that is more fantastic than real life. If I wanna see only stories that can really happen, I'll watch the news.

Another reason that I wanted to write about this movie is that I don't have to add any warnings or caveats to this recommendation. There is no sex. There is very little violence and virtually no language. This movie is so clean that it actually came out with a PG rating and under the Walt Disney banner, rather than under the Touchstone label as originally planned.

So, if you're looking for a couple hours of light entertainment, definitely give National Treasure a try.