Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Legend of the Banshee

When I started this blog, I didn't know much about the historical legends behind banshees. I first heard of banshees while playing an adventure game on my Commodore 64. They were quick and scary. I knew they were sort of ghostlike. I also knew that they were associated with screaming. I mostly knew that "banshee" was a cool sounding word.

A couple of weeks ago, I ran across a website about banshees. The myths originated in the British Isles. The myths seem to vary from location to location. But, all the myths seem to agree that banshees are females and that they are quite the nasty characters. Whether they are resposible for deaths or just come to give warnings of impending death seems to be up for debate. However, everyone agrees that you don't really wanna hear the Wail of the Banshee (link to the website).

Wail of the Banshee ends its article with a Highland legend. The legend concules, "Highland legends tell us that any man bold enough to creep up behind the Banshee and grab her breast will be granted a wish. It's not known if any man has succeded."

Don't get any ideas, readers.