Tuesday, August 31, 2004

RNC Day 1

The Convention kicked off with the Republicans adopting their party platform. Despite the fact that a parade of psuedo-Democrats will be strolling to the podium during the convention, the GOP adopted a very conservative platform. I have not found a good online text of the platform (after limited searching). However, I understand that it includes a strong pro-life plank as well as a plank in support of a constitutional amendment defining marriage as between one man and one woman.

The theme for Day1 was "The Courage of a Nation." The focus of this night was the War on Terror. Senator John McCain gave a very strong speech in support of President Bush. McCain did an excellent job explaining the necessity of the invasion of Iraq and lauded George W. Bush for having the courage to wage this war aggressively. The final speaker of the night was Rudy Giuliani.

I must confess that I dozed off and missed that last 20 minutes of the former mayor's address. It ran far over time. Still, I will not allow sleep to win out on Day 2. My old friend Diet Pepsi and I will make sure that I am wide awake when the Governator and the First Lady speak on Day 2.