Friday, August 20, 2004

Stripped Down Olympics

The Olympic motto is "Faster, higher, stronger," but perhaps a more appropriate motto for the 2004 games would be "Shorter, tighter, smaller." Greek athletes in the ancient Olympic games competed in the nude. In 2004, the games have returned to Athens, and there seems to be a trend towards returning to the ancient uniforms. This is particularly true of American female athletes.

The sexy nature of this year's primetime broadcasts was first came to my attention while I was listening to the morning DJ on the local top 40's station lament the fact that the broadcasts were not particularly family friendly. Then I started noticing this for myself.

Perhaps the worst offenders are the American beach volleyball duo of Misty May and Kerri Walsh.

(AP Photo/Dave Martin)

Now, I understand that if we have to have beach volleyball as an Olympic sport, then the players might as well wear bathing suits. But, this does not mean that you need to wear the smallest, tightest bathing suit possible. The men wear shorts and tank tops -- not Speedos. I think the women should do likewise. But the skimping down doesn't end there. The USA women's gynmastics was certainly doing its part as well.

(AP Photo/Amy Sancetta)

Again, I realize that leotards are the traditional garb for this event, but this does not require a French cut leg. I actually had to sort through a few pictures of gold medalist Carly Patterson because several of them were just a little too revealing for comfort. I'm just glad that the American women's basketball team still wears a traditional basketball uniform and has not yet adopted some sort of Cat Woman body suit.