Tuesday, January 20, 2004

The Iowa Caucus

The first results of the '04 election cycle are in. Iowa democrats chose John Kerry. John Edwards came in a strong second. Dr. Dean -- well, he only garnered 18% of the vote and came in a distant third.

As a Republican, I have mixed feelings about this. I think that Dean will be the easiest candidate for Bush to defeat in November. For that reason, I would not mind seeing Dean prevail. On the other hand, I find the fact that Iowa Democrats preferred two more measured candidates reassuring. David Frum in National Review Online expressed that sentiment well today. Certainly, I have serious policy disagreements with both Kerry and Edwards. However, they both have based their campaigns on other things besides pure Bush hatred. I think this is a positive sign.