Monday, January 19, 2004

Martin Luther King Day

Today is the day that our nation celebrates the birth of Martin Luther King, Jr. I think that an appropriate way to celebrate this day is by reading King's famous "I Have a Dream Speech." Whenever I read this speech, I am struck by how different the tone of this speech is from the tone of the current racial discussions in our nation.

Like many other people, my favorite quotation from the speech is when King states, "I have a dream my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Interestingly enough, King did not say, "I have a dream that one day my children will be noticed due to the color of their skin and then given the appropriate preferences in higher educations admissions." One has to wonder how different racial relations and policy in our nation would be today had King lived to old age. It is truly tragic that he did not.