Friday, February 25, 2005

Musical Irony

After doing a disappearing act for several years, Green Day is back in the hit parade with their new single, "Boulevard of Broken Dreams."

The song begins with these words:

I walk a lonely road,
The only one I that I've ever known.
Don't know were it goes,
But it's home to me, and I walk alone.

The band goes on to sing in the chorus, "My shadow is the only one beside me."

Yeah, this song is based on the typical grunge rock, navel-gazing angst. But, it is kind of catchy. Then the irony of all this hit me. Green Day is a band. The guy who is singing about his extreme solitude probably has two band mates standing five feet from him while the words come out of his mouth.



I mean, seriously, do any of these guys look like they're going it alone? If you ask me, these guys could do with a little more personal space.