Saturday, February 26, 2005

Sports Talk

I try my darndest to keep from saturating this blog with sports discussion. In fact, I even contemplated starting a Banshee Sports blog so that I would have a separate outlet for all my sports musings (The web space is secured. I just haven't decided whether or not to take on that commitment). However, once in a while, I just can't resist.

No hockey. While America was enjoying the Super Bowl, the heart of conference play in college hoops, and the Daytona 500, the NHL was busy canceling its season. Anyone out there notice? I noticed because NHL highlights aren't hogging up ESPN airtime. Now there's plenty of time for stuff that matters like analysis of NFL signings and spring training coverage.

Basketbrawl. This isn't a rehashing of the Pistons-Pacers debacle from back in the fall. Nope. This is a description of UConn-Pitt game this afternoon. There wasn't any actual fighting. There wasn't anything dirty at all. Nonetheless, this game was a brawl. It might have been the most physical basketball game I have ever seen. Of course, it will probably get beat out for that top spot by the Pitt-Boston College game that will be played on Monday night. If we ever need to invade France, I suggest that we just send the the frontcourt players from these three teams. Those 9 guys ought to be able to take care of business.

Rice the journeyman. There is really no debate. Jerry Rice is the greatest receiver who has ever lived. And yet, it seems that his career is going to fizzle out as so many great careers have fizzled out. It will likely end with Rice playing sparingly in a series of unfamiliar uniforms. After a glorious career with San Francisco, Rice crossed the Bay for a stint with the Raiders. Then last year, he was sent up the coast to Seattle. Now he has been released by the Seahawks. And yet, Rice is contemplating coming back for yet another season with yet another team. Rice has the right to retire when and how he wants. Yet, I am looking forward to the day that he does so that we can begin remembering him in Niners' gold and red instead of watching him fade in some foreign jersey.