Monday, June 20, 2005

Listen Up?

I know this sounds really dull but this weekend . . . I listened to golf on the radio. I also listened to baseball. And I listened a little to the NASCAR race. And to my surprise I found out that I enjoyed listening to sports on the radio!

While I listened to the US Open I learned a lot about Michael Campbell (http://www.cambogolf.com/about_cambo/about_cambo.html) the winner. I heard about his struggles to remain a professional golfer, his Maori heritage, his line of clothing, and I even heard his father interviewed live from the tiny clubhouse of the nine hole course in Titahi Bay, New Zealand where he learned to play.

Listening instead of watching a sport requires you to use your imagination. It also gives you the opportunity to hear all kinds of information about the players, the game itself and even a bit of history.