Thursday, July 08, 2004

Kerry and the Communists

A few days ago, I commented on the Marxist theories that Hillary Clinton espoused in a speech in San Francisco. But, she's not the only Democrat who is quoting Communists these days.

Recently, John Kerry has adopted the phrase "Let America Be America Again" as the theme of his campaign. This is a reference to the famous Langston Hughes poem of the same name. Although the phrase has a nice ring to it, Hughes is kind of a scary guy to be referencing in a Presidential campaign. Langston Hughes was an open Communist sympathizer. He frequently contributed to Commie journals. He even went so far as to sign a 1938 document supporting Stalin's purges of the Old Bolsheviks and others. This is all according to the Oxford University Press. I know it's kind of trite for a conservative like me to accuse left-wingers of holding Communist views, but Hillary and Kerry are actually citing these guys. I'm not inventing this stuff.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, "Let America Be America Again" is not a patriotic poem. In fact, it is extremely anti-American and downright depressing. I urge you to click here to read the poem that Kerry is citing as a battle cry. Since I'm a giving kind of girl, I'm gonna go ahead and attribute ignorance to John Kerry on this one. I just can't believe that even a French-lover like Kerry holds our great nation in the same low regard that Langston Hughes did.