Sunday, July 04, 2004

NASCAR Update

The start of the Pepsi 400, Daytona's July night race, was delayed more than two hours due to rain. I can't offer too much commentary on this race since I couldn't keep my eyes open much passed lap 80. I was very disappointed about that fact because the Daytona night race is one of my favorites. Fortunately, the drivers were able to stay awake and complete the entire race. Hendrick teammates Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson finished first and second in the 400. Earnhardt, Jr. was unable to pull of the Daytona sweep, but he did manage to finish third.

The strong finishes by Johnson and Earnhardt kept them in first and second, respectively, in the championship standings. Jeff Gordon moved into third spot. Tony Stewart advanced to fourth while Matt Kenseth slipped to spots to fifth place.

Next week: Chicagoland Speedway