Thursday, September 09, 2004

Most wonderful time of the year

Fall is a wonderful time of year. I love September and October because they mark the overlap of the end of baseball and the beginning of football. You just can't beat that. College football got underway in earnest last weekend, and the NFL debuts tonight with a rematch of the AFC championship game.

It wasn't long ago that many in the sports world thought that the NBA was the best managed and marketed professional sports league in the country. But now, the NFL is clearly king. Heck, preseason football trumped most of the Olympics on SportsCenter. I don't have a undying love for any particular NFL team, however, I had goosebumps on my arms during my morning commute just thinking about the start of the season.

I know that baseball has been known as "America's Pastime" for nearly a century. But, I would submit that football is truly America's game. Thank goodness it's finally back in season.