Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Slippery Slope Revisited

While being interviewed today by Neil Cavuto on Fox News a recently “married” homosexual male responded.

(Not an exact quote) “Don’t talk to me about the sanctity of marriage and the slippery slope when over 40% of all heterosexual marriages end in divorce and when someone can get married on a drunken binge in Las Vegas and have it annulled fifty hours later. We didn't start the slippery slope.”

For those of you who have not read or commented on my earlier posting I have posted it again below.

Confessions of a Slippery Slope Slider

I first heard the term “slippery slope” many years ago when I became involved in the pro-life movement. At that time it made perfect sense to me. If our society embraced abortion, infanticide and euthanasia would follow as surely as night follows day. This danger was so apparent to me that I was not even tempted to consider rape and incest as mediating circumstances. A life conceived was a life worth protecting.

So how come I didn’t see the slippery path I am currently trying to extricate myself from? I stepped on this path harmlessly enough when I began to believe that marriage was all about two people finding love and happiness together. Okay, so I knew it had social and sacred components but they were secondary and not nearly as important. I slid further when I heard myself say, “He’s unhappy and they have no children. Why shouldn’t they get divorced and just start over?” And then, after a particularly ugly episode, I found myself thinking that perhaps certain children really would be better off if they lived with just their Dad and not in a home with a mom who is “difficult.” I didn’t even know I was sliding, and then one day . . .

A college student asked me, “Why can’t homosexuals marry? Shouldn’t it be between the two of them?” Hmm . . .

“Don’t they have a right to love and happiness?” Well . . .

“And don’t children do well if they are in a loving environment even if it doesn’t include both a Mom and a Dad?” Uh, oh!

And so, I am sliding. I know I don’t want to end up at the bottom of this path. I could try to scramble back up with social theories and personal antidotes but I’m afraid they won’t hold. It’s become clear that the only way to stop sliding is to grab hold of the Rock.

So I’m going to start at the beginning with His words, “Haven't you read that the Creator made them male and female in the beginning and that he said, 'That's why a man will leave his father and mother and will remain united with his wife, and the two will be one'? So they are no longer two but one. Therefore, don't let anyone separate what God has joined together." (Matthew 19:4-6)

It will be great to get back on the narrow path instead of the slippery slope. Want to join me?