Monday, May 03, 2004

Tom Jones

Tonight my mother and I watched Tom Jones. We borrowed the movie from the public library. It caught our eye because it won the Academy Award for Best Picture in 1963. I can't give an extremely detailed critique because I did doze off during parts of the movie. However, the main question that I was left asking when the film ended was: What other movies came out in 1963 that allowed this to win Best Picture?

The novel Tom Jones was written in the 1700's by an Englishman named Henry Fielding. The plot centers around the presumed bastard, Tom Jones, and his wayward exploits in the English countryside. However, the movie was apparently some kind of farce. I say "apparently" because I was never really sure about the point of the movie. I am sure that the movie reveled in bawdy (though certainly not grapic) sex and contained some weird 60's scenes of flowers. I guess what I'm trying to say is that Tom Jones was a terrible film. Now, if you want to see a good film from 1963, check out McClintock.