Thursday, June 10, 2004

Applauding a funeral

Yesterday I watched the funeral procession of Ronald Reagan as it made it's way to the capital. The television anchors remained quiet, allowing the viewers to hear the sounds of the massive crowds. As I listened, I was struck by periodic outbursts of applause. Now, I'm not sure if the applause was in responce to Nancy Reagan as she waved from the limousine or for the military bands or for the casket itself. At first, any sort of applause seemed weird to me. But, the more I think about it, the more appropriate applause seems. Ronald Reagan lived a long and full live. A life that should be celebrated. Although we are sad at his passing, it is entirely appropriate to applaud the accomplishments of this great man. He restored honor to the Presidency while the office was still haunted by the Nixon years. He lifted the American economy out of the malaise of the 1970's. He returned strength and confidence to the military following impotence of the Iran hostage situation. And, he sent an evil empire to the dustbin of history. These are truly great accomplishments.

Though my eyes well up with tears when I think that he is no longer living with us, I, too, will rise in applause for Ronald Wilson Reagan.