Saturday, June 12, 2004

Redneck Woman

Back in May, Gretchen Wilson scored a country music trifecta when her debut album, single and video all reached #1 on the Bilboard charts. Wilson wrote the single, "Redneck Woman," and it was an instant hit. It reached #1 faster than any other song in history. And who could be surprised with lyrics such as: "You might look down on me, but I don't give a rip. I'd rather stand barefooted in my own front yard with a baby on my hip."

The rest of the album, which is titled I'm Here for the Party, lives up to the single. Wilson sings about challenging someone to a fight and drinking Jack on the rocks. And like any good country girl, Wilson also sings about her salvation. She sings that she hopes her chariot to heaven is a Trans Am. And not just any Trans Am -- a Trans Am with an 8 painted on the door (unfortunately, the 8 is not in honor of Jr. but in honor of the age she was baptized).

I did get one big surprise when I listened to the album. I found out that the Redneck Woman is not from the South. No. She is from Pocohontas, Illinois. Guess that proves that Yankee girls know how to have fun, too.