Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Thoughts from the road

Let me start off by apologizing for the extra blog-free delay. I'm sure that many of you logged on last night in great anticipation of my return. I am truly sorry for the obvious disappointment you undoubtedly felt.

Pedal to the metal: Any of you who have driven on I-81 for more than about 90 miles surely know that a stand-still in traffic should always be an expected part of the journey. My trip began with just such a delay. Traffic was stopped for 25 minutes as a result of an accident. Now, as it turned out, there weren't actually any wrecked cars blocking the roadway. However, there was plenty of good stuff to look at. There were about three minor accidents that apparently occurred as a result of the main incident. The serious part of the accident consisted of a Bronco that apparently rolled more than once.

This accident and the passing drivers' responses to the wreck revealed something sort of bizarre about the psyche of the American motorist. After coming to a complete stop to take a good, hard look at a Bronco resting on its roof on the median, everyone in line pushed the accelerator through the floorboards to get back up to 75 mph as quickly as possible.

Cops on foot: I don't really have any commentary on this, but I wanted to share this observation. Just after the Bay Bridge on Rt. 50 East in Maryland, I saw a policeman on foot in the median pointing his radar gun into traffic. This isn't the first time that I've seen this on Rt. 50, either. The policeman was leaning against the patrol car, and the trunk of the car was open. I couldn't see if there was a second policeman at the wheel of the car, but this whole thing seemed sort of bizarre to me. Seems hard to picture actually getting nabbed by a policeman on foot. However, traffic did slow down appreciably in the area around this dismounted trooper. Perhaps that was the real goal.

AM in DC: I learned today that AM radio in the greater DC area is hosted almost entirely by non-English speakers. I've lived in DC on two separate occassions, but I never knew that before.