Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Congratulations, Detroit Pistons!

(AP Photo/Paul Sancya)

Last night, the Detroit Pistons finished off the Los Angeles Lakers in convincing style. Despite the fact that the media was ready to crown the Lakers champions after they captured the West, the fiesty Pistons only needed five games to claim the title for themselves. Like the cities that they come from, there is no denying that the Lakers had more flash than the Pistons. But over the course of the Finals, the Pistons proved that they had far more substance than their opponent from the left coast. While the Lakers were a collection of stars, the Pistons turned out to be the consumate team -- made in the image of their highly respected coach, Larry Brown.

This was one of the most satisfying NBA Finals that I have ever watched. Not only did I grow to admire the Pistons, but I also got to see the team that I hate most in all of professional sports take an embarassing beating. I don't think that I am the only one who feels this way. Steve Wilstein of the AP says that if there was ever a team who deserved this, it was the Lakers.

But, as we proceed into the basketball offseason, I do have a few words of consolation for Lakers' guard, Kobe Bryant: Don't worry, Kobe. You'll win a championship next year. I'm sure there isn't anyone like Teyshaun Prince to guard you in the Eagle County Prison League. Plus, you won't have that pesky Shaq asking to touch the ball.

Once again, congrats to the Detroit Pistons and their head coach, Larry Brown.